Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stuffed Butternut Squash

My husband wants to eat more like a Caveman, so that translates into ditching grains. Okay! So tonight we had roasted butternut squash filled with ground meat and cheese. The cheese might not be exactly Paleo, but at least its not a grain. No rice to stretch this stuffing!

I started by roasting the squash at 350 Degrees for about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I sauteed some chopped onion and ground beef until it was completely browned. I added some seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. After I had taken the squash out of the oven and let it cool for a bit, I then scooped out most of the fleshy part and put it into a mixing bowl. I added the browned meat and about a cup of shredded cheese. That made the filling for the squash, which I packed into the four halves. I put them back into the oven for another 25 minutes until it was heated through.

I loved the sweetness of the squash with the meat and cheese flavors! Dinner was accompanied by a small green salad and a creamy tarragon dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment