Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Potato with Ragu Bolongese e Fagoli

Tonight was more recycled food, with another twist: a cup or so of last night's leftover meat became the base for a Bolongese-type sauce over baked Russet potatoes.

Because this is one of my later work nights and Lee beats me home by 15 minutes, I enlisted his help. He poked fork-holes in the potatoes that I had already scrubbed and popped them into the microwave for 5 minutes to partially cook them. But I love the flakiness of an oven-roasted potato, so I asked him to finish them in the oven. So he then coated the potatoes with olive oil and seasoned them with coarse salt. They went into the oven for another 40 minutes until fork-tender. 

When I got home, I heated up the leftover ground meat and added some tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and a can of garbanzo beans. For good measure I added the last bunch of spinach that I had sliced into strips, making sort of a chunky vegetable ragu al la bolongese e fagoli. I think. Anyway, I. Served the sauce over the baked potato and topped it with more cheese, and the guys loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment