Friday, June 21, 2013

Fresh Summer Kick-Off Apricot Crisp!

Golden, sweet apricots quartered and diced for a Summer-kick off Apricot Crisp
Gonna use my Apricots today! I love fresh fruit cobblers and crisps, so this recipe from Sunset just hit the spot for me. We got some beautiful golden and perfectly ripe apricots in the SLO Veg box yesterday. You know they are just ripe enough when you cut into the fruit and it pulls right off the pit without any resistance. Perfect! Yum!
I couldn't wait so I prepped everything this morning, washing and cubing up the fruit. I mixed in the lemon juice and sugar in a bowl, then made the crumble topping in another bowl. I melted the butter and decided to try it with almond flour today. Going with the almond accompaniment, I stirred in toasted almond slices, dried cranberries and black rainsins. 
After I divided my fruit mix between four ramekins, I spooned the crumble topping into a generous layer on top and put them on a baking sheet. I had about a cup or so of topping left over...hmmm. Then I covered it with plastic wrap and put it into the frig until tonight. I want to bake it and eat it hot! with ice cream!!!
(*note to Self: go buy ice cream : ) )

*****************
Recipe from Sunset:

Fresh Apricot Crisp

Small ramekins make great individual crisps
A crunchy topping sets off apricots which are so flavorful you do not have to add much to them.   If using supermarket apricots, cut each into quarters, increase lemon juice to 2 tbsp. and granulated sugar to 1/2 cup, and mix a pinch each of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg into the fruit before baking.
Sunset JUNE 2007
  • Yield: Makes 8 servings
  • Total:1 Hour

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used almond  flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins (*I used black raisins and dried cranberries)
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans (*I used sliced toasted almonds)
  • 5 cups pitted and halved fresh apricots (about 15 apricots)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease an 8- by 8-in. baking pan. Melt butter and let cool. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and brown sugar. Stir in oats, raisins (if using), and pecans, then stir in melted butter.
2. Toss apricots with lemon juice and granulated sugar and spread in baking pan. Squeeze topping into shaggy chunks and scatter over apricots. Bake until bubbling, 40 to 50 minutes; cool at least 30 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream.

***Cooks notes: After I reviewed and edited this Sunset recipe a bit and putting in my substitutions, I realized why I had leftover topping. I only used about 8 apricots or about 2 cups, which was just enough to fill four ramekins about two-third of the way up. I put about a half-inch of topping on each one. Maybe if I had 15 apricots, I could have make 8 or so ramekins and would have had enough topping for all of them. I actually do have two gallon-sized bags of apricots in the freezer, so when I have company I can make a casserole-sized dish using this recipe. Oh, and I got my ramekins at Cost Plus World Market. See the link below.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/souffle-6oz-red.do?&from=Search

So when I tried to bake two of these desserts in the toaster oven, I burnt them. That is where the extra topping will come in handy, because I plan to take the burnt stuff off and put new topping on it and bake it again. Meanwhile, I got smart and just put the remaining two ramekins in the regular oven where they would be safe. I didn't burn these ones, mostly because Lee kept saying "What do you have in the oven?" every five minues. Thanks, honey....I don't know how I would manage without you. Topped off with French vanilla ice cream, it does look delicious. Can't wait to eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment