Sunday, June 30, 2013

Apricot Jam on biscuits

You see this little gem? Do you know what is so special about it? Special enough to pay $5 at an Antique Store for it? Well, my mother had one of these. I don't know what happened to it. We probably tossed it into the thrift store pile when we were cleaning out the house. I was on overload back then and didn't want to keep any stuff. I am always trying to declutter and not become my mother, a constant battle in my life.

Anyway, a few months back I found one of these little biscuit cutters in a shop. I picked it up and carried it around in the store while I browsed all the isles, up and down, around and back (those places are arranged like the Winchester Mystery House). I wasn't sure if I want to pay $5 for it. But in the end, the emotional pull was to great and I relented. They had a sale!

This cutter is unique because the center "doughnut hole" piece comes out. You can make doughnuts or you can take it out and make biscuits, or cookies, or anything that you want to cut into a round shape. You could also just have it for a remembrance of your mother making doughnuts in the kitchen when you were growing up.  The round red wooden handle on the top has a built-in grip and fits perfectly in your grasp while you cut out circles in the dough. I had to have it, and I had to make homemade biscuits. This morning was the time, because I also have homemade apricot jam like my Mom used to make to spread on the biscuits.

I already blogged about making the jam with fruit I picked up from SLO Veg, so today I will tell you how I made the biscuits as a vessel for that delicious jam. Simple baking powder biscuits. Here is the recipe:

****************

GRANDMA'S BEST BISCUITS

2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-1/4 tsp salt
2-1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1-1/2 C heavy cream (I just used milk)
4 Tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into mixing bowl and stir with a fork. Slowly stir in melted butter and add 1 to 1-1/2 cups cream or milk. Mix just until dough comes together. Place dough on a floured board and knead for 1 minute. Pat dough flat to about 3/4" thickness. Cut with round 2" biscuit cutter and place on a buttered baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned. Serve with butter and jam.


 These biscuits came out flakey and wonderful! We split them and added more butter and a generous spoonful of Apricot jam. Then we ate some more with homemade sausage gravy!

No comments:

Post a Comment