Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Flank Steak Salad and Cuban Corn-on-the-Cob

 
 I know it looks like a thing of pure beauty: crisp salad greens with assorted vegetables, and tender seared steak. Yep, it's a winner. Easy too! My inspiration was my recent girlfriend camping trip. My friend Jane provided the motorhome, so Moe and I cooked the dinners. She made Chicken kabobs with parsley and lemon with vegetable kabobs on the side. That was Friday. The I put together salad plates with butter leaf lettuce from our SLO Veg box, sliced radishes, mushrooms and snow peas, topped with seared steak, cojita cheese and green onions. It was so good I had to make it for the boys when I got home, and Taylor cleaned his plate--salad and all! Lee added his special culinary touch with some Cuban corn on the cob: roasted corn smeared with chili mayonnaise and rolled in cojita cheese...its is so dang good you don't want to stop eating it, except for there are only so many ears of corn here. It was store-bought corn. I so hope we get some local corn in our box soon. That would be awesome!
I used flank steak for the first time, and what a winner it is. A small, narrow strip of steak that takes a marinade well, cooks quickly and slices perfectly for the salad presentation. I marinated mine for our camping trip in an Asian dressing I mixed up using soy sauce, ginger, sugar, sesame oil, onion and cilantro. Lee made his marinade with Teriyaki sauce and some other secret ingredients. My friend Moe is avoiding wheat gluten so we marinated her piece of steak in a mustard dressing (did you know there is wheat gluten in soy sauce, unless you specifically get gluten-free sauce? I learned that this weekend!)
We had our salads at home with a little homemade Ranch dressing. Good old Ranch! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment