Saturday, June 15, 2013

Baja-style Fish Tacos with Slaw

Thursday is delivery day, and we know what that means--fresh caught fish! I had to leave for work, but I had just enough time to prep everything and let Lee fry the fish when he got home. I mean, come on, it only takes about 5 minutes to cook--not so tough after a long hard day turning wrenches, really!
I browsed the recipes on the SLO Fresh Catch website and decided to pan-fry the fish after coating it in a simple flour mixture, like Captain Evans did with his dredged sand sole. Read his recipe, though. It's a crack-up! For the record, I just put my flour in a pie plate and coat the fish on both sides.
The flour I used this time was coconut flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper...super simple and no wheat! (We are hoping by cutting out the wheat we will lose weight and ache less!) I rinsed the fish filets and patted them dry with a paper towel, then coated two of them in some flour and fried them in avocado oil. I would have used coconut oil, but someone used the last of it that morning with their eggs. (Lee?) I left the rest of the filets on a platter in the frig for Lee to fry when he got home from work about an hour or so later. The corn tortillas were just heated on a griddle plate and then piled high with fish, slaw and sauce!
Fish tacos need cabbage, or a coleslaw to serve with them. I had a simple vinegar and oil coleslaw at a friend's barbecue last week (yes, Anne and Eric, that's you!), and I wanted to go with something similar. So I chopped up some of the beautiful cabbage from my SLO Veg box and added celery, carrots, green onion, red onion, radishes and cilantro. The dressing was simply red wine vinegar and avocado oil, about 1/4 cup of each. 
But you know how you always get a creamy Ranch-like sauce with fish tacos? I like that, but with a twist: I made an Avocado-Cilantro dressing. I found that one on Pinterest. I varied it a little by adding a bit of honey for some sweetness. Lee loved it!
For a quick side dish and even more vegetables, I sauteed some zucchini and yellow squash with diced onions and garlic and some little sweet peppers. I had some leftover corn so I added that in as well. A little salt and pepper and that was easy!

Baja-style fish tacos with cabbage and avocado-cilantro dressing
Sauteed zucchini and yellow squash with onions, garlic, peppers and corn.
Simple coleslaw dressed with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment