Sunday, July 7, 2013

Practical Apricot Cheesecake Shooters

So you know I watch my cooking shows on Saturday mornings after the hub leaves for work. (While we are eating breakfast, we are watching Two Guys Garage...). 

This morning on Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond was having a "Girls Night In" with some friends and she was making some fabulous food. The grand finale was these little cherry cheesecake "shooters" she served up in wine goblets. They looked absolutely mouth-watering and I knew I had to try it. I already had cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk on hand as well as some toasted almonds and graham crackers, so I just needed cherry pie filling. While watching the show using my DVR, I mixed up the cheesecake filling in my Kitchen Aide mixer, adding a splash of lemon juice which I don't think Ree did with her batch. I didn't actually have graham crackers, but I had Teddy grahams...same difference. They got crushed to bits. I thought about using wine goblets, but the closest ones on hand were crystal, and Taylor would be eating it, and I decided to look for something else...ahh! Jelly jars. Sturdier. Perfect.  My friend Steph had watched the same show and already had photos of her beautiful cheesecake shooters on Facebook, all perfect and pretty. Sigh! She also made Ree's calzones...heck, we just ordered pizza! 

I divied up the graham crumbs between five jars and then spooned in the cheesecake filling. Ree filled hers by piping in the filling using a plastic bag. Good idea, because mine didn't look so pretty, but it was just for us and the boys don't appreciate pretty all that much anyway, so I took a shortcut and spooned it in. Now I just had to get the cherry pie filling when I went into town later on, after watching Pioneer Woman, Trisha's Southern Kitchen, and Giada at Home. 

My mission in town was to stop by the Hospice Thrift Store and purchase those beer mugs I had seen the day before. I have become a thrift store junkie, checking every week to see what new treasures are being offer for sale at a fraction of the retail price. Lee has tried counseling me about my addition, but this time he was enabling me. Last night I told him I had seen these mugs, Sam Adams brand, for $2 apiece, but that I was a good girl and didn't buy them. I mean, good grief, we all know Lee had plenty of beer mugs...and pilsners...and pint glasses...and mason jars, for that matter! Humph! Danged if he didn't want them, after all! "Rwwewh! How many are there?" he asked attentively. He said I could go get them if they were still there. Of course, I would just get the mugs, nothing else. Yah, right!

I went to town and got the mugs. I stopped at the Dollar store and got some more Teddy grahams, because my daughter needs them for a dessert she is making next weekend for our family reunion. Then I got all the way home and realized I had forgotten cherry pie filling. Oh well! I would substitute the apricot jam I had put up a few weeks ago. That's better, because I made it with apricots I got from SLO Veg, and this blog is all about that. Apricot cheesecake shooters. Nice!

Oh, and then I rearranged my utensil draw...utilizing the new bamboo divided silverware tray I picked up at the thrift store. $3.00 : )

Here is the link for Pioneer Woman's cheesecake desserts:
Note: I added a tablespoon of lemon juice to the filling



No comments:

Post a Comment