Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lavender Mustard on Fish

Remember the lavender that came in the box two weeks ago? I had put it into a vase and basically forgot about cooking with it. So today I made some lavender mustard with a recipe from the SLO Veg website. I think I will use it as a sauce on the fish we got in today's box. I think it is Pacific Grenedier, a white fish. I am sure this sauce would be fantastic on salmon, also, but that's not one of Lee's favorite fishes...humph!

I simply sauteed the kale with some red onion and olive oil for about five minutes. Then I oiled the bottom of my ramekins and piled the kale into them. I topped that with the fish and brushed it with the sauce. Bake for about 10 minutes on 400 degrees. My dinner was accompanied by steamed yellow squash slathered in butter. I also cooked some brown rice in the rice cooker, adding chicken broth, dried ground shrimp and parsley leaves. It was the best rice I have had in a long while!

White fish on a bed of sauteed kale, sauced and ready to bake at 400 degrees
******************************
This recipe is from the SLO Veg website:

Lavender Mustard 

Honey mustard with lavender
Yield: 1 1/2 Cups 
Level: Easy 
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
 
Ingredients:
1 cup chopped fresh lavender
*Note: I only used about 1 Tbs lavender! 
1/4 cup honey 
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 
1/4 cup Dijon mustard 
1/4 cup grain mustard 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
 
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl 
and season with salt and pepper. 

  
after the addition of balsamic vinegar








No comments:

Post a Comment