Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Making Meatloaf more Vegetable-ly

I really like like to be adventurous with meatloaf by cleaning out my frig when I make it. Lets see....today I should probably use some celery, since I had two bunches of it, and some carrots, because I had completely forgotton about them. I also needed some bread crumbs, but since I didn't have any, I decided to crumbled up the leftover hamburger buns instead. 

That, along with a quarter cup of diced onion, was the basis of the kitchen-sink meatloaf adventure. I started with one-and-a-half pounds of 80/20 ground beef. The vegetables were diced into small bits and then I mixed in salt, pepper, granulated garlic, an egg, Worchestershire sauce and chili sauce. A little shake of some Italian seasoning blend and the mixture was complete, except that then i mixed in the torn up hamburger bun. I loosely packed it into a metal loaf pan, covered it with foil and baked it for an hour in a moderate 350° oven.

I removed the foil and drained off all the grease...don't need that! Then I brushed some more chili sauce on top and baked it for another 15 minutes. The meatloaf paired well with some of the leftover squash casserole from the other night. I packed mine for work. When I reheated it in the breakroom several hours later, I got the the the attention of my coworkers. Probably should bring both these dishes for the next potluck!



No comments:

Post a Comment