Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Corn on the Cob, Garlic Fries

Roasted Corn on the Cob...its the best! We got some nice, sweet ears of corn from SLO Veg this week and I knew just how I wanted to prepare it...super simple, just grilled in its own husk on the barbecue pit. I had to search for a recipe with a good chili-mayo to rub on the corn. This link is the closest thing to it, but instead of using a chili in adobe sauce, I just used chipotle chili powder because it was handy. I also added granulated garlic, pepper and salt. I used parmesan cheese because its tastey, but if I had some cojita cheese on hand I probably would have used that.

The meat is really just an accompaniment to these vegetables. Basically, I marinated a tri-tip steak in canola oil with some all-purpose seasoning and a few sprigs of cilantro. But first, using another Barbecue Bob tip, I poked slits into the meat using a paring knife and inserted whole cloves of garlic, intermittently spaced about two inches apart. I started up my little Weber charcoal grill and waited for the coals to catch and burn down for an hour, then I put the tri-tip on. Two ears of corn fit neatly around the tri-tip, so dinner is cooking. I also prepared some potatoes for frying in my first attempt at garlic fries. I saw one of the barbecue masters do it at the races last week, so I am attempting to recreate his recipe. BBQ Bob made a paste out of a whole mini-chopper full of garlic cloves, then added a tablespoon of basil pesto and about a half cup of olive oil. If he put anything else into it, I missed it. So now my garlic is pasted and ready to soak up the french fries. 


I began by peeling the potatoes and running them through my old Oster Kitchen center french fryer. Its the reason I keep this appliance around! I soaked the potatoes in water to keep them from browning before it was time to cook, and also to draw out the excess starch. I can drain them and fry them just before its time to eat them. French fries are only good fresh and hot, as far as I am concerned.

Then I got out a small bowl and mixed up a half cup of mayo with the chipotle spice and Santa Maria Seasoning blend, which is salt, granulated garlic and black pepper. Its about a 2:1:1 ratio. A little squeeze of a half lime went into it, also, and its ready to spread on the corn-on-the-cob when it comes off the grill. Once the mayo is spread on the corn, it is then rolled in parmesan cheese and ready to eat.

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Cuban-spiced-corn-on-the-cob-347912?columns=4&position=2%2F5

The funny part is that for some reason I didn't think the son would be home tonight, so I only roasted two ears of corn and french fried three potatoes. I really wanted him to try the fries, though. I guess I will have enough to share with him...but maybe not the friends he brought home. They will have to eat whatever stuff they brought...one of them brought a Marie Callender's cream pie!

Oh shoot, I had plenty of fries...Taylor and his friends got a whole bowl-full.

No comments:

Post a Comment