Monday, July 8, 2013

Bean n Bacon Soup

We had a late lunch in town today, so I wasn't even sure if I wanted to make dinner tonight. 
I had some chicken thighs defrosted already, but I just didn't feel like preparing a whole meal now. I really wanted something simple, lighter and comforting...soup!


At first I thought of making corn chowder using the few ears of corn leftover from our 4th of July barbecue. Then, upon inspecting the contents of the frig, I spied the baked beans. I knew I had two or three strips of bacon left so I thought "bean and bacon soup!" I would add corn to that. Brilliant. 

So I chopped up a bit of onion, about a quarter cup, and sauteed it with the diced bacon in a stockpot. I added a quarter cube of butter, Paula Deen-style. Then I made a roux by adding a small scoop of flour to the pot, along with about a cup of water and a teaspoon of organic chicken broth powder in lieu of broth. When that thickened, I added a little more water, then stirred in the leftover beans, which amounted to about two cups worth, and about a cup of corn that I had cut off the cob.

I tasted the soup and decided it needed some punch, so I added a splash each of Worchestershire sauce and white vinegar vinegar and a generous dollop of ketchup. Still not completely satisfied, I opened a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes and poured it in. Garlic salt, pepper and oregano flakes finished off the seasoning and the soup was ready. It turned out to be pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment