Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Strawberry shortcut!

After having our delicious fish dinner and watching Biggest Loser, I wanted something sweet, but not just sugar! I thought about those two baskets of sweet, ripe Strawberries that were sitting in the frig waiting to be eaten. But what I really wanted was shortcake! Hmmmm. Lee is avoiding wheat. Hummmmmmmmmbug! I know, I had baked some blueberry muffins a few weeks ago using coconut oil and almond flour, sort of a Paleo version of a sweet treat. I had put a few in the freezer, so that would work in place of shortcake. And, I even had some whipped cream in a can in frig...great healthy stuff, I know, but sometimes ya gotta just break down and satisfy that craving. I am not a health food snob!

Figuring it was a good compromise, I set about washing and quartering my strawberries. I tasted one...mmmm, sweet! These strawberries definately have flavor, not the washed out kind you get in the grocery store. Not sure which grower supplies them, but it is probably Baustista Farms. They are a regular at our local farmer's markets and I always gravitate toward their produce. It looks great!

Usually I add sugar to the berries, but I had some honey on hand and decided to use that, instead. Honey and a splash of Balsamic vinegar. That, combined with the warmed up almond flour muffins, was inspirational! The whipped cream gave it an elegant touch, and dessert was served just that quick!




No comments:

Post a Comment