Monday, March 4, 2013

Roasted Beets...the only way to go!

My Dad always had this great garden every summer, and he would go out there after work and water it, and bring his fresh bounty in to our table. One of his favorite vegetables was beets. Now , I never liked them as a kid, no matter how they tried to feed them to me: boiled, pickled or whatever. But I just don't recall ever having a roasted beet. So now, being the adventurous foodie that I am becoming, I gave beets another try...roasted! What a difference an hour in a moderate oven can make! 

It's super simple. Just scrub the beets and then trim off the tops and ends. Place in the middle of a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with oil. I usually use olive oil, but have also used avocado oil, and I think I may try it with coconut oil. After about an hour, take them out and let them cool for a few minutes, then open he foil packet and remove the skin. It should peel right off. I can slice them up for a salad, or marinate them in a vinaigrete, or just eat them with a little salt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment