Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sweet and Sour Pork

Red bell peppers, sliced carrots and chopped onion are the base for my Sweet and Sour Pork.
You know that movie with Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaghy: "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days?" One of my all-time favs, partly because Lee and I watched it on our first date.Well, I am home alone, and that's what I am watching while I am browsing the internet for dinner inspirations. It makes me laugh.

But what about dinner? What are my options here in the land of refrigeration? Leftover pork? Big, juicy farm-raised carrots? Sweet, dark red bell peppers? A can of pineapple chunks? What more does a gal need except the rice? and a good sweet and sour sauce. Got it! I found a recipe on Food Network's website, make the sauce and stirred in my pork and pineapple. Then I sauteed the carrots, peppers, onion and garlic in sesame oil and mixed it into the sauce. I would have added some snow peas if I could find them in the freezer, but I can't so I will add green peas. Color, you know? Jasmine rice was in the rice steamer and dinner is gonna be a snap. I think I can even relax the rest of this evening and let my hubby pick the channels...except for our 20 minute cardio workout. That's later.

************************

Here is the recipe I made, except for the pork part. I just used some diced leftover pork. It works. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/sweet-and-sour-pineapple-pork-recipe/index.html

Sweet and Sour Pineapple Pork
Ingredients
For pork:

1 pound lean pork
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet vermouth
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
4 tablespoons oil, divided, plus 4 cups oil, for deep frying
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup diced red and yellow bell peppers
2 tablespoons diced onion
Sweet and Sour Sauce
Strips of green onion, for garnish
Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish

Sweet and Sour Sauce:

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 1/2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1/2 cup chopped canned pineapple
4 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water, for thickening

Directions

Cut pork into bite-size pieces and marinate for 30 minutes in mixture of soy, vermouth, garlic, ginger, and 2 tablespoons oil. Set aside.
Meanwhile, make the sweet and sour sauce:

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except the cornstarch mixture, blend well and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thickened. Be sure and bring your sauce to a boil before adding the cornstarch, otherwise the sauce may retain an unpleasant starchy taste.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove pork pieces from marinade and roll in cornstarch to coat well. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy.

In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium-high heat. Stir-fry red and yellow pepper and diced onion for 2 minutes, then add Sweet and Sour sauce and fold in fried pork. Let simmer for 2 minutes, arrange on serving platter and garnish with long strips of green onion and toasted sesame seeds.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/sweet-and-sour-pineapple-pork-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

No comments:

Post a Comment