Sunday, October 13, 2013

Breakfast in Bed

Our kitty Zink was helping me read the Sunday morning newspaper.
Apples and cinnamon! What a great combination! When I saw this recipe on SLO Veg's website, my mouth started watering. I woke up wanting some yummy oatmeal with apples and cinnnamon and raisins and brown sugar, so I got myself up, made it, and went back to bed to eat it! Then I read the Sunday morning paper, start to finish. Great start to a day.

Apple Harvest Oatmeal (Braeburn Apples) 

Servings: 6  Level: Easy  Cook Time: 5 Minutes


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
1 crisp apple, such as Braeburn or Crispin, cored and diced with skin 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more to taste 
3 cups water 
2 cup quick-cooking oats 
1/2 cup wheat germ 
1/4 cup ground/milled or whole flax seed (or a combination of both) 
1/4 cup chopped dried apples 
1/4 cup toasted sliced almond 
1/4 cup golden raisins 
3/4 cup almond milk
Directions: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and the apple and cook until lightly brown and soft, 2 minutes. Add cinnamon and sugar and cook until dissolved. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the oats, wheat germ, flax, dried apples and raisins. Stir constantly for 2 minutes until oats are cooked and dried fruit is slightly plumped. Divide into 4 bowls, sprinkle each bowl with more brown sugar, a drizzle of milk and a dried apple ring.
**I didn't have any dried apples for this recipe, but I did add some sliced toasted almonds.


No comments:

Post a Comment