Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cauliflower and Feta Omelette

"Vegetables for breakfast." That was a dietary tip a friend of mine received from her nutritionist when she was trying to lose weight. Okay, I'm in! I don't think I have ever before eaten cauliflower for breakfast. 

My husband and I are embarking on a 12-week workout and healthy eating program called Body for Life. I thought this recipe sounded like a good, healthy start for our day, full of protein and nutrients. Good thing my appetite is shrinking, because I only got 4 bites of my portion when a hungry, hungry young adult woke up and I took sympathy on him and let him eat the rest of my breakfast.

Recipes through SLO Veg

Cauliflower and Feta Omelet 
 yield: Makes 2 servings
 active time: 20 min
 total time: 30 min 
Little bites of cauliflower add wonderful texture to this open-face omelet; salty-tangy feta gives it character. 

Ingredients: 
5 large eggs 
2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch-wide florets (3 cups) 
1 garlic clove, minced 
1/2 cup crumbled feta (2 ounces) 
1/4 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup chopped spinach (my twist on the recipe)

Preparation: Beat eggs with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté cauliflower until browned and tender, 5 to 9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, then add spinach, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and sauté 1 minute. Pour eggs over cauliflower. Cook, lifting edges to let uncooked egg run underneath and shaking skillet occasionally to loosen omelet, until almost set, 4 to 5 minutes. (At this point I just sort of scrambled it all together, but you can do like the next step if you prefer).  Slide out onto a large plate. Put skillet over omelet and, using pot holders, firmly hold plate and skillet together, then invert omelet back into skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slide out onto plate and sprinkle with feta and parsley.  




For the record, that is a Spark energy drink next to my egg dish, not a mimosa. ***sigh!***

No comments:

Post a Comment