Saturday, August 10, 2013

Picnic Coleslaw

We are taking a road trip this weekend, and I thought it would be nice to pack a picnic lunch. Maybe some fried chicken, potato salad or coleslaw...hmmm. I was watching Pioneer Woman this morning and got the inspiration to make a red coleslaw, because I still had a head of red cabbage that I got in my SLO Veg basket last week. She made her's with red and green cabbage, but I only had the red cabbage on hand. I had everything else, though, including shredded carrots and green bell peppers. So I began by slicing the cabbage into thin ribbons and dicing the bell peppers and onions. Then I opened the baggie of pre-shredded carrots and dumped them into the bowl. That was easy!



I whipped up some mayonnaise and milk, added in some white vinegar and sugar, and just a little bit of salt. The mixture looked a little too thin, so I added a scoop of sour cream as well. Then I mixed it all together with the sliced and shredded vegetables. I will put some into a container to take on our picnic, and leave the rest in a bowl for a another meal. I am going to go out and buy some fried chicken. I am pooped.

COLESLAW

1 head red or green cabbage, or both!, sliced thin
1/2 red onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 cup shredded carrots

1/2 C milk
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/2 C sour cream
2 Tbs white vinegar
1/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of black pepper

Prepared vegetables for slaw and combine in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix ingredients for dressing and combine well. Stir into slaw mix and refrigerator until serving time.

No comments:

Post a Comment