Friday, August 2, 2013

Cheesy rice with yellow squash and green beans

I guess I am into comfort foods this week. I wanted to make a rice au gratin-style casserole and ended up using Cream of Mushroom soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. I tossed in some yellow squash and green beans for good measure...and some soy sauce, because that's what you put in a green bean casserole. I almost sprinkled it with french fried onions, but I decided I will save those for when the family comes over for dinner...it's more like a company thing. Tonight its just me and the hub, so I can keep it simple. Geez, did I just make a whole 9x9 casserole of rice? I guess that's what Lee is taking for lunch tomorrow...

This all started because I had some leftover brown rice to use up, and some yellow squash from my SLO Veg box from last week. I guess I just didn't make enough food last week and I am lagging. So I mixed up the rice, added some diced squash and some leftover green beans, and then said, "What's going to make up the sauce?" I grabbed a can of soup, some sour cream, and the shredded cheese. I sprinkled in some Italian seasoning and stirred it all up in a saucepan so that all the cheese melted and the sour cream blended into the sauce. There! Creamy, cheesy, gooey deliciousness. That always works in my house. I put it into the oven to heat it for 30 minutes until it is bubbly.

I baked some fish in lettuce leaves, too, but it's not one of my success stories. I will have to work on the fish thing.
****************************************

Cheesy Rice Casserole

2 C cooked rice
1 Tbs butter
3 small yellow squashes, diced
1 C green beans, canned, freshly cooked or leftover
1 green onion, chopped
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 milk
1 Tbs soy sauce
1 C shredded cheddar cheese, or a cheese blend
 
Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the vegetables for a couple of minutes. Add the rice, soup, milk, soy sauce and sour cream and stir until it makes a nice sauce. Add the shredded cheese and combine until it is all melted. Top with more cheese (and bread crumbs, crackers or fried onion rings, if desired). Pour into a glass casserole dish and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment