Monday, August 26, 2013

Mini Caprese Salad

From what I can tell, mozarella balls have a lot of names in Italian, depending on their size, I suppose. Rachel Ray called her's bocconcini. I bought ciliegine (mozarella balls) at Trader Joe's. They were in a watery bath, not marinated. Basically, I halved them along with a pint of fresh cherry tomatoes from SLO Veg, mixed in some Balsamic Viniagrette that I also bought at TJ's, and chopped up some parsley, basil and mint leaves and stirred them in. I seasoned my salad with coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper, and squeezed in the juice from half a lemon. That's it. I had a long day today and that's all I could muster. But if you want to make your dressing from scratch, here is a recipe from Rachel Ray.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mini-caprese-salad-recipe/index.html

Rachel Ray's MINI CAPRESE SALAD

Ingredients

1 lemon, juiced
1 small clove garlic, grated or minced
1 cup basil leaves, about 20 leaves, plus a few for garnish
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, multi colored if available, halved
1 cup bocconcini (bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls), drained, halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Combine lemon juice, garlic, basil in food processor or blender, process and stream in extra-virgin olive oil to form a smooth dressing. Combine tomatoes, cheese and dressing in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment