Monday, April 29, 2013

Miracle miles...

So you know about that weight I've been trying to lose? Well, part of my plan is to walk and every year there is this 10k fundraiser for Family Care Network that raises money for counseling services for foster care kids. The cool thing about it is it goes along our beach from Morro Rock to the Cayucos Pier, a distance of 6.2 miles--how perfect is that?
A group of people from work signed up so I joined the team and invited my sister to do it, too. I shared my page on Facebook and was humbled to receive enough donations to reach my $100 fundraising goal. So cool!
So I set out with a couple thousand other people to do the trek at 8:35am last Saturday. I almost had to give it up about halfway because the arches and heels of my feet were killing me. I figured my only options were to get picked up by an ambulance on the beach or keep going, so I opted for the latter. I discovered if I did a jogging step I could put more weight on my toes and thus relieve the pressure on my heels, so I did the last three miles in that manner. We finished the race in just under 2 hours and were greeted by my sister-in-law Judy, a seasoned runner who entered as an independant. Her time was 49:59...placing 142 overall! Go Judy!
Needless to say I could barely walk for 48 hours following the race, but at least I crossed another item off of my bucket list! I had been wanting to do this walk for quite a while and I will do it again hext year, but I plan to be slimmer then and have better walking shoes.
I went home and soaked my feet and then went layed in bed all afternoon. I enlisted Taylor's help with dinner by asking him to peel potatoes and boil them in a pot. When Lee got home, he mashed them up and made gravy and we had leftover meatloaf with that for dinner. I tried to get Lee to steam some broccoli, but he was tired out so it was all meat and potatoes for this meal. Well, maybe not all...if you remember I put shredded carrots, diced celery and onions into the meatloaf. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment