Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Apple Crisp!

We have been getting some delicious apples each week in the SLO Veg box, beautiful Gala apples, I think. But for some reason, they were still hanging out in my fruit basket. This morning I thought, I'd better make something with those apples before they turn to mush!

Pie? No, I didn't feel like making a crust. Apple Ambrosia? Well, maybe. I am making pork chops for dinner, and that would go well with them. But I was already planning to saute an apple to serve with the chops. Then inspiration hit me! Apple crisp! No crust, just apples, cinnamon and sugar and a crumble crust. So easy. So I started peeling apples. I put a cup of cold water and a tablepoon of lemon juice into my mixing bowl and sliced the peeled apples into the bath. When I had peel and slice about 6 apples, I used my hands to mix them around, coating them in the lemon-water. Then I drained off the water and stirred in some sugar (about a quarter cup) and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

I made a crumble topping out of a cup of brown sugar, one stick of softened butter, another teaspoon of cinnamon and a cup of oats. I mixed that up thoroughly and then dropped it on top of the apples. The dish went into a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. It is really good served with vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment