Wednesday, September 4, 2013

3 or 4 Cheese-Broccoli Soup

Night shift is going to be the end of me. I'm lying here awake, listening to the sounds of the construction going on outside on my street. I could conceivably get three more hours of sleep before I have to wake up and get ready for work tonight, but seriously, the house keep shaking. I know they're going to be done with this phase of the construction just as I switch back to day shift. 

So instead I am browsing the internet looking at recipes and trying to figure out how to use up the rest of this week's vegetables before our next delivery. Pioneer Woman had a delicious looking cheesy broccoli soup on her website today. I have broccoli and I have cheese -- an odd assortment, to be sure, but it's cheese. I think I have a few slices of pepper jack, a handful of shredded Parmesan, and about a cup of shredded mozzarella. I can make a three-cheese soup. Toss in two small heads of broccoli and that should do it!

I loosely followed Pioneer Woman's recipe, sauting the onion in butter, but I added some chopped bacon and celery. Then I mixed in the flour, the nutmeg, the salt and pepper and about a cup of water. I was going to also use cream, but the date on the carton said August 20th and I figured I'm well past August 20th. I also hope the combination of water and milk would make my soup a little lighter, because I really don't need the extra fat.

II added two heads of broken up broccoli to the pot and let it all simmer for about 20 minutes. Then I took out my handy dandy little immersion blender and pureed the soup. At that point I added in the cheeses, stirring until it was melted. The soup look pretty pale this point with all those white cheeses, so I improvised and robbed a box of mac and cheese of its little packet of powdered cheddar. I stirred that into the soup and -- Presto! It melted right in and made the soup have a nice golden glow. Note: now it's a four-cheese soup.

Now that I eaten my soup and told you the story, I'm going back to sleep for at least another hour, if it kills me!

No comments:

Post a Comment