Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Broccoli Corn Chowder

My only memory this morning after getting off of my night shift was crawling into a cold bed and having my husband nudge me to have me try some concoction he'd made in the blender.
"What's it missing?" He asked. Really? Expects me to think at this hour of the day? I force my brain to work and I came up with "Bananas!"
That was it. He went back down stairs and spuns some more with the blender.  Then he brought me a nice sweet smoothie. I love you honey, really...I think. Goodnight.

*********

We're getting close to delivery day and I still have lots of vegetables to use up, even some leftover vegetables. Last night I fixed glaze turnips and carrots for the boys and there was some left over. I also have leftover corn on the cob that I need to cook. So what's the answer? Broccoli Corn Chowder with leftover carrots and turnips.
Using leftovers really simplified it because all I really had to do was fry some bacon and put that aside on a  paper towel-lined platter. Then I sauteed some diced onion and garlic in the bacon grease and stirred in a little flour to make a roux. Instead of chicken broth, I added about three cups of water and sprinkled in some chicken broth bouillon powder.
As soon as the broth heated up, I put in the broccoli stems, then a few minutes later added the broccoli florets. When the broccoli with tender I simply dumped in the turnip-carrot-corn mixture and added about a cup of milk ( I happened to use almond milk this time). I serve myself a bowl of soup for lunch with the bacon sprinkled on top. The remainder of the soup went into the fridge for the boys to reheat tonight for their dinner, and I went back to bed for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment