Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Roasted Garbanzos

Roasted garbanzo sprouts make a great crunchy snack
Still in Superbowl mode and looking for a salty after-dinner snack...hmmmmm.

So the solution to my hunger for salt? Roast some garbanzos in olive oil and seasoned salt! Oh yeah baby! That makes a great little snack that really hits the spot and you can feel good about eating. I set the oven at 400 degrees and let them bake for 22 minutes. They came out slightly crispy with a great salty flavor. I was nice and shared them with the boys...real nice. 

We got some raw garbanzo sprouts from SLO Veg last week. They came from Mt. Olive Organic Farm in Paso Robles, CA. You can eat them raw, but I am not that big of fan of raw sprouted beans. I like the bean shoots, but not the raw beans so much. I am more used to canned garbanzos that are already cooked, or hummus, which is garbanzos that have been cooked and ground into a paste and seasoned with tahini and other flavors. 

Garbanzos are a great source of fiber. Since my husband and I both need more healthy fiber in our diet, garbanzos may be one thing we can add almost daily to improved our cholesterol and blood sugar numbers. One website I found tauted the beans as one of the World's healthiest foods! http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58
I will definately be adding garbanzo beans to our daily lunch salads, and maybe incorporating them into some quinoa dishes and soups and so forth. Hummus comes in so many flavors and can be used as a dip or a spread, so its perfect for snack time. The roasted beans are more perfect though. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment