Thursday, January 9, 2014

Italian Turkey & Spaghetti Squash Pie

I made an Italian-inspired dish tonight, meaning it had spaghetti sauce, onions, peppers, and parmesan cheese. Its a pie, but its a sort of lasagna, too. Its like a pizza pie! Without the pepperoni.

Spaghetti squash shreds just like spaghetti noodles after being roasted in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
I found a recipe on Pinterest and adapted it to the ingredients I had on hand. That included spinach from SLO Veg, red bell peppers, carrots, celery, red onions, basil, and spaghetti squash. That's right, no pasta -- just vegetables. I had some turkey in the freezer that was left over from Thanksgiving, so I decided to use that for the meat component. I started out by dicing the onions and peppers and sauteing them in a pan, then added the chopped celery and carrots. Next I added the diced turkey meat and a little slosh of chicken broth. I let that simmer for a bit to sort of tenderize the turkey bits that had been frozen solid just a few minutes before. I had a bunch of fresh basil, so I gave a good chop to 5 or 6 big leaves and stirred that into the mixture, then added a can of spaghetti sauce.

Cheesey, gooey, vegetabley deliciousness!
While the sauce was simmering, I mixed up a cheese filling of cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley and one egg for a binder. I scooped out into a casserole dish one half of the spaghetti squash that had been baking in the oven and dotted it with some butter. A sprinkle of salt and pepper, followed by a thick layer of the cottage cheese blend made the base of this dish. I had some spinach in the frig, so I couldn't resist slicing about 10 leaves into ribbons and sprinkling them on top of the cheese layer. That was topped with the sauce mixture, then a generous layer of mozarella cheese.

About 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven so everything was heated through and this dish was ready to serve. Self serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment