Thursday, January 30, 2014

Black Cod with a Honey-Soy Glaze

This is our large tote from SLO Veg, along with a pound of fresh caught fish from SLO Fresh Catch. I get to pick from all of this to make something yummy to go with the fish!
So I was reading the Facebook post from SLO Veg listing all the great fruits and veggies we would be getting in our tote box this week: lettuce, sweet potatoes, grapefruit, oranges, lemons, garbanzo sprouts, red beets, sugar snap peas, leeks, brussel sprouts, kiwi, kale...I think that about covers it. I wanted to cook the brussel sprouts with some bacon...the guys love it that way! But we also get a pound of fresh caught ocean fish delivered with the box in a co-op kind of thing. Its an additional $13.50 for the fish, and its always something so fresh and wonderful that I want to cook it that very night for dinner. Tonight we were to receive Black Cod in the box, and SLO Fresh Catch has a recipe by Captain Hackeman for it on their blog, "Black Cod with a Honey Glaze over Mashed Yams". Well, we got yams! or sweet potatoes! whatever!!'s

Today was my early day to get off work, which works out good because I can bring the veggies in soon after they are delivered and get to sorting it all out. I still had some kiwis in the frig from our last box, so I cut them in half, scooped out the fruit and made of some baggies of fruit to put in the freezer for our morning smoothies. Today's blend was kiwi and oranges from SLO veg, plus cherries and mixed berries that I bought at the grocery store. I put the fruit mix in baggies and then they are ready to pull out and pop into the blender in the morning along with a fresh banana, some yogurt and coconut milk and our protein powder. 

While I was doing the smoothie prep, I also was roasting my beets and yams in the oven. I let them go for an hour, then cooled them on the counter. The beets are going into the frig and I will deal with them another day, but the yams got peeled and mashed for tonight's dinner. Captain Hackeman's recipe suggests serving the cod on top of mashed yams. I would have done the sugar snap peas like he suggested as well, but my son like the brussel sprouts better.

I posted the brussel sprout recipe and  the mashed sweet potatoes recipe separately tongight. 

**************************


January 28-30 2014 
The glaze is brushed onto the top of the fish prior to searing it.
Black Cod Caught By Captain Hackeman 
Honey Glazed Over Mashed Yams
Posted on by margie on January 28th, 2014 | 

Black cod with  mashed Yams
Prep time: 40 min

Ingredients for black cod:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 black cod fillets
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
your favorite recipe of mashed yams enough for 3 servings
salt and pepper 

Prepare your favorite mashed yams and keep it warm. Preheat oven to broil. Heat soy sauce and honey for about a minute in a small pan to melt honey and mix it well with soy sauce. Brush the top  of each black cod fillet with about half of soy sauce and honey mixture. You should have half of this mixture left. In a separate large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium-high heat until hot. Place fish fillet glazed side on the skillet  and sear for about 5-7 minutes on high heat, until the top of fish browns. Turn fillets over and sear them on the other side down for 5 minutes. Brush the original top of fillet with soy sauce and honey mixture again, place the fish right under the broiler and broil for 5-7 minutes until the top of fish darkens and browns even more. You can brush more glaze over fish half time through broiling. Remove from oven.
To serve: place a serving of mashed yams to each plate and place a fillet of black cod on top. Serve with stir fried snap peas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment