Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mexicali Tacos, corn, zucchini and black beans

Fish tacos can be the most refreshing meal! I like them because they are fast, filling and satifying. I like to make fish tacos with corn tortillas, doubled up so they don't crack and lose the filling in your hand.

We got some Pacific Grenadier in our last SLO Veg box, and since I already had some corn and zucchini on hand, Mexican-style fish tacos came to mind. I seasoned the fish with a simple blend of salt, pepper and garlic (Santa Maria-style seasoning), then coated the filets in flour and fried them in coconut oil until the coating was crispy and browned. I warmed the tortillas in the microwave because I don't like really greasy, pan fried tortillas, and laid them on the plate to be filled. Four small filets weighing one pound makes enough fish filling for about eight tacos. The fish tacos were garnished with cojita cheese and cilantro.

The real reason I wanted Mexican food tonight, though, was for the corn-on-the-cob. I boiled the corn and coated it with real Mexican creme from our little Mexican market down the street. Then I sprinkled my taco seasoning blend on top of the mayo and rolled each ear in crumbled cojita cheese. I think this is the best thing to eat in the world!

Our dinner also included black beans straight-out-of-the-can, spiced up with the taco seasoning, and some pan-fried onion, garlic and zucchini seasoned with the Santa Maria-style blend. I also made some mugs of Red Beer (Equal parts V-8 and beer, splash of lemon, Worchestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce, sprinkled with taco seasoning). Then I grabbed the apricots that were perfectly ripe and made an apricot crisp for dessert.

Definately one of my favorite meals!

I get so excited when I get the box and all kinds of recipes go dancing through my head. Tonight I picked just two things, the zucchini and the apricots, and made our dinner.
*******************************************

Taco Seasoning:
1/2 C chili powder
1/4 C onion powder
1/8 C ground cumin
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. paprika
1 Tbs. sea salt 
1 tsp. ground oregano

Blend all ingredients and store in an airtight container. Use 1-2 Tbs. to a pound of ground meat and add one cup water. Simmer to blend flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment