Saturday, March 15, 2014

Potato Encrusted Bank Rockfish and Bok Choy

Thursday's delivery from SLO Veg always includes a pound of fresh caught ocean fish from our local fishermen. Our fish this week is Bank Rockfish. I saw a recipe earlier in the week on "Just A Pinch" website that I knew would be scrumptious, so I could hardly wait for the fish to arrive. "Just A Pinch" is a collection of recipes from real home cooks, like me, so I want to share it with you and hope you enjoy it too! The recipes are shareable, pinable and printable, if that makes sense to you. http://www.justapinch.com/

I had two big russet potatoes that I precooked in the microwave and let cool off. The author of this recipe, Kathy, didn't mention this step, but I think shredded potatoes are best precooked, otherwise they get all gummy. I shredded the cooled potatoes with my favorite vintage appliance, my Oster Kitchen Center. It has a mixer, blender, chopper and food processor attachments. I used to have an ice cream attachment too, but that got lost in a zillion moves over the past 10 years or so. I don't know why the company discontinued these things, because I love it. I burnt out the motor on mine a few times and my father-in-law always ordered the parts and fixed it for me. I guess after he was gone, I had no one to fix it anymore, so I got rid of it. Then, when I met and married my husband Lee, he came complete with an Oster Kitchen Center, garlic press and four (that's right, four!) pizza cutters. Just a little bonus. It's missing the slicer blade, but it does have the grater and french fry blades. I look for parts whenever I am browsing through a thrift store.

I had two large filets and two smaller pieces. I did the steps of flouring, coating with egg and pressing on the shredded potatoes, then I fried them in a pan of hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side, until a nice brown crust formed. I had three oval ramekins waiting, so I put the browned filets with the two smaller pieces in one of the ramekins and the two larger filets in the other ramekins and popped the fish into a preheated 450 degree oven for a good 10 minutes. I wanted the fish to be completely cooked through, as well as the potatoes. While the fish baked, I prepared some bok choy using a recipe from the SLO Veg recipe site.  http://www.sloveg.com/printRecipe.cfm?recipe_id=141.

With a few olives as an appetizer, the Sugar Snap Pea slaw I made earlier today and a cocktail made just now by my husband using fresh squeezed grapefruit juice from the fruit from our SLO Veg box, I think we had a pretty well rounded dinner. Time to sit down and chow down with the hub. The third ramekin of fish can be his lunch for tomorrow or a late night snack for our young adult whenever he blows in.



Potato Encrusted Fish
added by Kathy Williams
Can use frozen shredded potatoes. just remove the excess water
Cook time: 10 Min  Prep time: 15 Min  Serves: 4
Ingredients
3 large russet potatoes, (precooked) shredded
1/4 c bread crumbs
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4-6 oz fresh or frozen white fish such as cod or haddock, 1 inch or more thick
1 c flour
3 large eggs beaten
Directions
1. Preheat oven 450 f. Lightly coat a sheet pan with cooking spray. If using frozen fish make sure it is defrosted.
2. You will need a dish for the eggs, a dish for the flour, and a dish for the shreaded potatoes. (I use a 9x13 glass pan).
3. Toss together the grated potatoes, breadcrumbs, thyme, onion powder, salt and pepper.
4. In a fry pan, heat about a cup of oil about med-med high heat.
5. Dredge fish in flour, shake off excess then dip in egg and let excess drip off. Crust the fish in the potato mixture, pressing to adhere.
6. Add encrusted fish to hot oil. Cook to brown the potatoes to crispiness. Flip and brown the other side. Drain on paper towel.
7. Place browned fish on greased pan and bake in oven for about 5-8 mins. until cooked through.


Bok Choy by Lynn Adams 
Ingredients:1 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 lb. baby bok choy, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil

Bring broth and butter to a simmer in a deep large heavy skillet. Arrange bok choy evenly in skillet and simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer bok choy with tongs to a serving dish and keep warm, covered. Boil broth mixture until reduced to about 1/4 cup, then stir in sesame oil and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over bok choy. Purplekimchi- Very, very easy! Reduce butter to 1T add sliced ginger and 2 cloves minced garlic to the chicken broth. Increase sesame oil in the reduction to 1T - deelish! Tasted like the bok choy I've had in restaurants.


No comments:

Post a Comment