Sunday, March 30, 2014

Easy Cheesy Lasagna Rollups


I kept seeing Lasagna rollups and have been wanting to try them, but then I end up making lasagna the traditional way. I think I did try it once and the noodles kept slipping around and I gave up. Then I read this blog and realized where I had gone wrong: you have to pat the noodles dry! Duh! 
http://www.mymommystyle.com/2013/07/31/spinach-lasagna-roll-ups/
My recipe loosely followed her's but I utilized what I already had in my frig. When I looked at my finished product, my thought was how great it will be to serve up each portion without having all the filling ooze out. This way I will have 12 even servings that can be dished out, then the leftovers saved in perfect serving-sized portions. Hmmmm.

So we had a nice bag of spinach from SLO Veg, big curly leaves that needed a good chop. I added about a cup of chopped spinach leaves to a concontion of Ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese. A little garlic salt and an egg later, and I had a decent cheese filling for my lasagna rolls. I thought about slicing a tomato to put into the rolls, but then I forgot again. Old age strikes again. I did put a couple of nice basil leaves into each roll, freshly picked from my living basil plant that I picked up at, from all places, Smart and Final, last week during our big grocery run. It had a small base with the roots attached, so I put it into a larger plastic tub and surround the planter cup with stones and added an inch of water. Its been there all week, looking fresh and green. Guess I had better put it to use. Might make some pesto real soon, too! We got some parsley in the veg tote this week so that would be good to mix into the pesto blend.

I made a quick sauce with some leftover marinara, a can of tomato sauce and some Italian seasoning. I spooned about a quarter cup into the bottom of the rectangular glass dish (9x13), and proceeded to make the rolls. They fit three across, four rows down for an even dozen. That's all the noodles I had, so it worked. I covered the rolls with marina and topped it with grated mozarella cheese. That makes four cheeses...pretty cheesy, I'd say!

Anyway, dinner is ready to bake and it's only 2 p.m., so I am going to go outside and get some sunshine while I do some yard clean up. Then when I am all tired later, I have a premade dinner just waiting to be heated up. My food tasters will have to weigh in afterwards and let you know if it was any good. Once they awaken from their cheese coma, that is!

My recipe is listed on Just A Pinch website:
http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-casseroles/easy-cheesy-lasagna-rollups.html

Easy Cheesy Lasagna Rollups
added by Kathleen Curtis-Ames
These rollups make perfect portions that don't ooze out all over the place after you've cut the lasagna. I used three kinds of cheese inside and topped it with a fourth cheese for gooey deliciousness. Hope you like it!
Cook time: 40 Min  Prep time: 30 Min  Serves: 12 portions
Ingredients
12 lasagna noodles, cooked
1 tsp salt
1 c ricotta cheese, part-skim
1 c cottage cheese, small curd
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1 egg
1 tsp garlic salt
1 c spinach, fresh, chopped
1 can(s) tomato sauce, 15 oz
1 can(s) marina sauce, 15 oz
1 Tbsp italian seasoning
1 c mozarella cheese, shredded
4 basil leaves, fresh
1 Tbsp olive oil
Directions
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and lasagna noodles. Cook until al dente, then drain and rinse in cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. While lasagna noodles are cooking, mix together filling ingredients: ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese with the egg and garlic salt. Stir in the chopped spinach.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the sauce ingredients: tomato sauce, marinara sauce, and Italian seasoning.
4. Lay one noodle out on a flat mat or cutting board. Spoon cheese-spinach filling onto noodle and spread to about 1/8" thickness, covering entire noodle. Place 2 large, fresh basil leaves on top and roll up noodle lengthwise. Place seam-side down in a 9x13 glass baking dish that has been coated with a drizzle of olive oil and a 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce. I fit 3 rows across and four down for a total of 12 rolls.
5. Top rolls with the rest of the marinara sauce and sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese all over the top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve one roll per portion. Actually, they might want two rolls!



No comments:

Post a Comment