Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dragon Food: Bok Choy with Pork

Bok choy...a large green vegetable, sort of a cross between celery and spinach. We got a large head in this last box from SLO Veg, and it actually made two different dishes for me. 

I remember the first time I cooked a meal for Lee at his house when we were dating. I found some bok choy in the frig and decided to add it to my dish. "Wow, what an adventurous guy!" I was thinking. "Bok Choy. Not every guy is gonna have that in his frig".  He also had four pizza cutters, but that didn't mean he wasn't a culinary expert. I mentioned later that I had used some of the bok choy and hoped he didn't mind. "Oh", he says, "that's Spike's salad." Spike was the Bearded Dragon. Ooops!

Tonight I did a pork and bok choy stir fry. I had some diced pork that I browned in oil and seasoned with salt and white pepper. I mixed up a sauce of soy sauce, hoisin sauce and oyster sauce thinned with chicken broth and water. After the pork had a little brown on it, I poured the sauce on top and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile I diced up some garlic, carrots and red bell pepper along with the bok choy stalks and added that to the pan. I saved the leaves for the last few minutes as they just need to wilt a little, not really cook much.
Once a steamer pot of white rice was ready, dinner was served!

Pork and Bok Choy Stir Fry with Rice

Sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup oyster sauce
1/8 cup Hoisin sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water

1/2 lb. stir fry pork meat
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3-4 baby carrots, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 head of bok choy, sliced
salt
ground white pepper
cooked white jasmine rice
Sesame seeds for sprinkling

Saute pork in a tablespoon of sesame oil until browned. Season with salt and white ground pepper. Add minced garlic, carrots, and red bell pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add bok choy stems and sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes, Add bok choy leaves and cook just until wilted. Serve over steamed rice and sprinkled on a teaspoon or so of sesame seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment