Sunday, December 29, 2013

Braised Red Cabbage

Cabbage keeps for a long time in the refrigerator. I think I got the red cabbage from SLO Veg at least 3 weeks ago and I have had it in the vegetable bin, staring back at me every time I opened the refrigerator door, all that time. I had a few remaining apples that either needed to be cooked or tossed. Last night I decided it was time. Actually, last night I was looking for something simple and satisfying to cook for dinner, and sausages are always a hit with my man. The cabbage I forced on him.

No, really, my husband likes cabbage, if it is sauerkraut, anyways. But I made a recipe from Martha Stewart Living that called for bacon, so I think it will be alright. It pairs well with beer. It came out slightly sweet, mildly tart and I thought it was pretty darn good. The only thing was, the recipe could feed about 10 people. There were only two of us tonight.

I really like how the cabbage looks on these Corelle dinner plates with the all fruit on it. Very wintery.

Thanks, Martha. 

Braised Red Cabbage

Martha Stewart Living, November 2012 http://www.marthastewart.com/939039/braised-red-cabbage
  • Prep Time 10 minutes
  • Total Time 1 hour
  • Serves 8

Ingredients

    • 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    • 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
    • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    • 1/2 cup dry red wine
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
    • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    • 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions

  1. Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fat renders and bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, wine, water, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; stir to combine. Raise heat to medium-high, cover, and cook 5 minutes.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Stir apple into cabbage, and cook, covered, until cabbage and apples are tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Season with pepper.
 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete